Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Sew! (Kind of)

Jason went out of town last weekend with "The Boys" to the Celebrity Golf Tournament in Lake Tahoe. They had a blast and I thought it would be a perfect time to start a new project!

I took my sister and my mom with me to find some fabric. I haven't sewn anything since Lauren was a baby- she's 6 now! I told Jen what I had in mind and told me what I needed to do. She said she could even help me since her husband was also gone on the boys trip!

She brought over her sewing machine and I went out to the garage to get mine. It was nowhere to be found! It has been so long since I used it, I may have possibly donated it in one of my purge modes. (If I haven't used it in a year, how much do I really need it?) So, we took turns cutting and sewing for about a couple of hours, but we had 8 kids running around! Around midnight we called it a night!

I really wanted to have them done by the time Jason got back, but Saturday still has it's usual chores that need to get done. I worked around the house, took a break to post "The Interview", and then decided I had better get to work on my curtains if I wanted to finish! I got out my fabric and was trying to measure where I needed to make my next cut, when Ashlyn decided that fabric was really fun! I couldn't keep her off of it! She wanted to sit on it, grab it and wave it around in the air, taste it, lay down on it and play peek a boo with it! I realized it would have to wait until she went to bed.

I called a babysitter and went out to buy curtain rods. Holy Cow! That costs a small fortune! I needed a double rod just longer than 14 1/2 just for my family room! I bought fabric for my kitchen too! I think I went to 5 different places just to see if there was any other options. My mom called and I told her my woes and she said I should just go to Home Depot and buy some stuff to mount the valance to the wall. By now I was tired and my brain was full of rods- colors, styles, length, prices, double rods, single rods, add a rod, extenders...
Mount it to the wall with L brackets and wood?... My brain was too full. She said she would go with me on Monday. I have been so tired lately, so I called it a day.

I finished up my sewing for my living room curtains, but not without a few phone calls. "Tell me again how to wind the bobbin?"
My mom went with me to buy the materials to mount my valance and I bought a rod for my panels. Jason helped me get the curtains up that night. I wasn't sure if I like them at first. I couldn't put my finger on what I wasn't sure about. Maybe it was just after midnight again and my brain seems to go to mush. But, the next morning when I came downstairs I really liked the way they warmed up the room and made it look more finished.
Now for the kitchen...

7 comments:

Aaron and Devon said...

They look great! I am very impressed. I always hoped that I would get some of my mom's sewing talent but so far all I can make is a simple quilt =)

Anne said...

Hey Tara and Jason! I found your blog through a link on Rashelle and Scott's. Not sure if you remember me, but Tara we were in the same ward a few years ago, and JASON- we grew up in the same ward (my maiden name is Prudler)!! So fun to find your cute blog. Anyway, your kids are darling, I'm super happy for you and I LOVE your new curtains, Tara. Very impressive.

Keep in touch! :)

Sara-Lynn said...

Tara, they look great. I am very impressed with your late night sewing skills.

Alisa said...

that is a pretty big undertaking especially when you haven't sewn in a long time. The style is pretty exact and not the easiest either. So they do look really good- good job! BTW I should take a picture and blog it too- I too made curtains recently- like 10 panels! Boy was I glad to have it overwith. It had only loomed over me for months and months.

kahnfam said...

Great job! They look really nice. Especially considering the late night sewing.

Christine Duerksen said...

I love your curtains. I need to make some for our house but I am too lazy. I am trying to get Christmas presents made though. Yeah, I learned how to sew also. I have to make a flower girl dress this week. I am scared. I just want it to look nice.

Lisa said...

Impressive! Looks great!